Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Dinner For One

It's really annoying to cook dinner for one person.  Last fall, as I was adjusting to living on my own, my dinners consisted of salads (quick, healthy, no cooking required), grilled cheese (delicious, dirties only one pan), cereal (terrible dinner choice, I know), and freezer meals (enough said).  By Christmas, I was sick of eating like that, and on New Years, along with a bunch of resolutions I didn't keep, I made a resolution that I DID keep: make proper dinner for myself every day.  Since then, I have done really well with this.  My meals are by no means original or interesting, but they're a lot healthier than what I was eating before!






Tonight, I whipped together a simple meal of baked salmon and roasted broccoli and cauliflower.  I made enough broccoli and cauliflower to have leftovers for two days, but only cooked one piece of salmon, as I hate leftover salmon.

So easy, and so delicious.  If you like salmon, that is.  I don't really like it but I think it's good for my skin and all that, so I eat it.  I simply sprinkled a single serving size piece of salmon with sea salt and freshly ground pepper, chopped onion, and a lemon slice, and baked it at 350F for about ten minutes.  A person could probably get away with less, but I like my fish pretty well-done.  For the broccoli and cauliflower (which I really do think is amazingly delicious!!!), I simply chopped it up, arranged it on a baking sheet, sprinkled it with olive oil, sea salt and pepper, and baked it at 400F for about 23-ish minutes, until it was tender, with crispy edges.  This meal is pretty satisfying as it is, though sometimes, I'll have some cooked quinoa on the side.


Other things I like to make for myself include roasted sweet potatoes, homemade turkey meatballs, chicken breast stir-fries, assorted vegetables, and the occasional salad.  Sometimes you have to be creative when thinking up meals for one person, but eating healthy things for dinner is important.  No matter how many times you tell yourself that whole-grain bread and low-fat cheese make a grilled cheese healthy, a grilled cheese is still a grilled cheese (I'm still working to accept this).  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment